Dogs, like people, often need a little help getting in and out of vehicles.
Whether they’re small, ageing or suffer from mobility issues, a dog sometimes depends on its owner for a boost when getting into a car or truck, and often times they shouldn’t be jumping in regardless.
Luckily, there are many ramp options for dogs and owners, as you’ll see below.
Our Top 2 Picks
Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets
The Gen7Pets Natural Ramp for Dogs is our top pick. We love the quality of the natural step, which is perfect for dogs that my be timid to try a ramp. And it feels like the perfect ramp for medium to large sized breeds.
Pet Gear Travel Lite Dog Ramp
Pet Gear is one the top brands in the outdoor dog gear community and we really like their travel lite car ramp for dogs. One thing that separates it from the rest is the multiple size options.
It’s very similar to our favorite pick, the Gen7, but prefer the quality (at a cost) of the Gen7 a little more.
#1 Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets
The Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets features poly-grass that allows dogs to securely grip the ramp without scratching their paw pads. The grass also avoids scuffing or scratching the interiors of a cars or trucks. Featuring a soft rubber-grip handle that makes it easy to carry.
Ramp Weight: 17 lbs
Capacity: 250 lbsPROS
- The 72″ long x 16″ wide long ramp makes it easy for dogs to use.
- Folded it is only 3” thick, making it ideal for storing under beds or sofas.
- Its faux grass surface makes it less intimidating for dogs who may be afraid of climbing smooth surfaces.
- Features an automatic locking latch that secures the ramp closed so it doesn’t unfold accidentally.
- May be less easy to clean given its faux grass surface.
- Some owners have found it too narrow for larger dogs.
This product is unique give its faux grass feel, which will be pleasing to most dogs and owners.
#2 PetSTEP Original Folding Pet Ramp
The PetSTEP Original Folding Pet Ramp is perfect to help dogs climb in and out of the back of cars or trucks, as well as, on and off exam tables, sofas, beds or even up and down stairs.
The ramp is slightly inclined, providing assistance to dogs that have difficulty getting onto high surfaces. The 70″ PetSTEP Original Folding Pet Ramp, made from high-quality plastic materials, is both sturdy and durable.
Ramp Weight: 18.5 lbs
Ramp Capacity: 500 lbsPROS
- The ramp has several safety features, including a non-slip ridged surface that helps dogs maintaingrip.
- The ramp contains no materials, such as carpet, tape, or sandpaper, that can absorb odors.
- The ramp features a soft heavy duty rubber non-slip grip on each end that fits both cars and trucks.
- The ramp weighs 18.5 lbs and can be folded in half for easy storage.
- The ramp can be easily cleaned with soap and water.
- The ramp may be a bit too heavy for some, especially if only needed for a small dog.
Neither cheap nor overly expensive, this ramp is probably best for those who will need it often or who will keep it permanently affixed in one location.
#3 Goplus Pet Ramp
The Goplus Pet Ramp features a high traction grip tape surface, is a reliable dog ramp for trucks, vans, and SUVs. The ramp is also easily folded for compact storage and features a built-in handle for carrying. Made of lightweight aluminum, it weighs only 14 lbs.
Ramp Weight: 14 lbs
Ramp Capacity: 250 lbsPROS
- Highly portable since it folds perfectly and features strap handles, so it can be carried like a suitcase.
- Despite being made of aluminum, it features no sharp edges, therefore, it is safe for dogs.
- The aluminum material also affords durability, which other ramps may lack.
- The ramps can also be easily wiped down for easy cleaning.
- The high traction grip tape surface may be considered too abrasive by some owners for their dogs.
Solid and sturdy, this ramp will be preferred by those who trust aluminum construction over a plastic one.
#4 Flightbird Pet Ramp
The Flightbird Pet Ramp features a four step metal frame that opens and closes like an accordion for easy storage and travel.
The steps are made of rigid metal tube and heavy duty fabric making it strong and friendly to dog’s paws.
Though the ramp weighs less than 10 lbs, it is strong enough for large dogs up to 100lbs large dogs. Its rubber gripper on the bottom and safety tether carabiner on the top guarantee your dog’s stability.
Ramp Weight: 10 lbs
Ramp Capacity: 100 lbsPROS
- Easily stored since it folds to 19.6″ x 14.5″ x 4.75″, making it easy to store in the back of a car or truck.
- Its anti-slip rubber feet and neoprene foam handles keeps the step ladder steady for large dogs and prevents scuffing or scratching the interior of a car or truck.
- Waterproof and made with stainless steel and non-slip nylon, the ramp is durable for long-term use.
- Extra lightweight at roughly 9 lbs., it makes it easier for owners to carry.
- Some dogs may be intimidated by the steps, especially smaller or less mobile dogs.
Ideal for dogs who are comfortable climbing stairs, but probably uncomfortable for those with serious mobility issues.
#5 Atoz Create Bi-Fold Pet Ramp
The Atoz Create Bi-Fold Pet Ramp is both lightweight and made of durable plastic. The ramp has a gentle incline and non-slip surface and folds comfortably in half.
Ramp Weight: 10 lbs
Ramp Capacity: 200 lbsPROS
- The Bi-Fold Pet Ramp closes in half for easy carrying and storage.
- Extra lightweight at roughly 10 lbs., it makes it easier for owners to carry.
- The plastic material is easy to hose down and doesn’t rust.
- Its raised borders may add security for dogs afraid of tumbling off.
- The non-slip surface may be considered too abrasive by some owners for their dogs.
Very lightweight in comparison to other products, this product will be preferred by those who need a boost for their dogs but don’t want to deal with too much extra weight.
What Are Car/Truck Ramps for Dogs?
A dog ramp is similar to a human ramp that is used for getting in or out of a building or a vehicle due to a lack of mobility. It has a flat supporting surface that is tilted at an angle and is used to help dogs into vehicles or other hard to reach areas.
Older dogs may suffer from arthritis or sustain injuries that make it difficult to get in and out of vehicles. With a reliable car/truck dog ramp, you can not only make your faithful companion’s life easier but also lessen their pain and discomfort.
Types of Car/Truck Ramps for Dogs
There are several types of dog ramps. The most common are bi-fold, tri-fold and free-standing.
They may feature different surface materials such as grip tape – with or without reflective markings – or carpeting, or even faux grass.
Here’s a few things to consider before buying:
- Permanent and semi-permanent ramps are usually made of aluminum, concrete or wood.
- Reflective ramps afford extra safety when you load or unload your dog since the high contrast markings can guide your dog up and down the ramp.
- Permanent ramps are designed to be fastened or attached in place.
- Semi-permanent ramps lie on the ground or a concrete pad.
- Portable ramps are usually made of aluminum and are easily folded for transport. These ramps are often used access to homes or buildings but can also be used with vans on road trips since they are lightweight and fold easily.
Which is the best car/truck ramp for YOUR dog?
Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets
We believe dogs who require a ramp will be best served by something that inspires confidence, such as the Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets , which clearly feels more natural to dogs and ensures your car or truck doesn’t get scuffed up when you store it.
The price tag is also reasonable when compared to other products. Also as of writing this, out of 330 customer reviews, 83 percent of buyers gave the product a four or five star review, while only 10 percent gave it a one or two star review.
Finally, as far as best car/truck ramps for dogs go, the Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets stands out simply because it is unlike most products on the market, which are essentially interchangeable.
James Barrett says
I ask for pet loading ramps for 2021 GMC/ Chevrolet Pickup trucks. You only show vans.